[Incubator] GISCollective + OSGeo

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 17:45:47 PDT 2021

Szabo the last cloud / website project did some thinking about what it
would mean to join a software foundation and ended up presenting their
technology as a framework (similar to GeoMOOSE and other frameworks). The
project is here https://www.osgeo.org/projects/gc2-vidi/

If you would like to see if the approach is appropriate for you. A suitable
goal would be quickstart instructions for folks to set up their own service
using completely open source components.

Discussion topic for incubation committee members. If we continue to get
platform applicants to OSGeo we may need to consider how OSGeo values map
to a new area.
Personally I have a great appreciation of platform / framework projects and
prefer the approach for code reuse to some of our OSGeo software (like
GeoNode and GeoNetwork) that promote forking for customization affecting
long term sustainability and community development.