[Incubator] Application to add PROJ-JNI as an OSGeo Community Project

Will Cohen wwcohen at gmail.com
Thu May 27 06:11:51 PDT 2021

Hello,

I'm writing to request that the incubation committee consider PROJ-JNI (
https://github.com/Kortforsyningen/PROJ-JNI) for inclusion as an OSGeo
Community Project. This project's goal is to provide a JVM ecosystem set of
native bindings to upstream PROJ, an increasingly important task given the
increased development speed of PROJ in recent years, starting with the
changes post PROJ 6. In particular, PROJ's shift to SQLite requires that
JVM users of PROJ eventually interoperate with native libraries, making
native bindings to PROJ itself a logical next step.

One very tangible benefit of inclusion, in addition to helping build
community support for the project, would be the potential use of the
org.osgeo/proj or org.proj/proj Maven coordinates as a home for project
releases. The project has an initial 1.0 functional release tagged on
GitHub, but artifacts haven’t yet been released to Maven Central given the
placeholder group ID so far.

Will

- [X] Be geospatial
   - [X] Confirm by checking README or project description (
https://github.com/Kortforsyningen/PROJ-JNI/blob/master/README.md)
   - [ ] project page on the osgeo website (this we do not yet have)
   - [x] We ask projects have some user documentation, for example an OSGeo
Live quickstart (linked from the README)
- [X] Have a free license or an open source license. (MIT,
https://github.com/Kortforsyningen/PROJ-JNI/blob/master/LICENSE)
   - [X] The license must be OSI approved (MIT)
   - [X] We ask that the project team check the file headers and double
check the license has been appropriately applied (it appears on all code
files)
- [X] Welcome participation and new contributors (certainly looking for
contributors and participation, which is part of why we seek to be a
community project!)
   - [X] We look for a clear contribution policy (see README, we will work
through github)
   - [X] We ask that the project demonstrate collaboration, perhaps with a
history of bug report or pull requests (github)
   - [X] Projects are required to have a code of conduct (contributor
covenant,
https://github.com/Kortforsyningen/PROJ-JNI/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md)