[Incubator] platforms discussion

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 07:42:57 PDT 2021

Greg was not signed up to the list; so I am forward his reply. Greg I am
sorry you were tagged into a mailing list conversation that can be
frustrating. You will need to sign up if you wish to take part in the
discussion.

Keep in mind that OSGeo did not quality as a charity, it is more like a
community group that takes care of a park, and also benefits from the park.
As an example if GeoCat sponsors an a GeoServer activity, we also benefit
because we have products based on GeoServer.

There was a very good discussion around GDAL and fundraising on the
advantages of setting up a pure charity to support an open source
community; the differences were all very subtle and I was not comfortable
that I understand how such a thing is setup.

I do not have the same strong viewpoints as you Greg, but understand and
respect where you are coming from. I think a pure charity based around
those principles could be setup and be a valuable contribution to community
sustainability (and provide another source avenue for funding).

Jody