[Incubator] Application for OSGeo Community Project - ETF testing framework

MINGHINI Marco Marco.MINGHINI at ec.europa.eu
Thu Jul 7 00:02:55 PDT 2022

Dear Jody,

thanks for your guidance. I have actually already submitted the application in my very first e-mail to this list on 14/04/2022. That e-mail addressed all the points required for OSGeo Community Projects applications [4]; your reply was to first prepare the webpage on the OSGeo website to then come back to the application.

For convenience, please find below a copy-paste of the content of that e-mail.

Best regards,

Marco - on behalf of the ETF Steering Group

___________________________________

Dear OSGeo Incubation Committee,

I am happy to contact you to propose a new project, the ETF testing framework, as an OSGeo Community Project.

The ETF testing framework [1,2] is an open source testing framework for validating spatial data, metadata and web services in Spatial Data Infrastructures (SDIs). The concepts in ETF are based on ISO 19105 and the OGC Specification Model which underpin the standards used in SDIs. Tests are organized in Executable Test Suites (ETS), which can be developed and executed using different tools to support all kinds of resources. Currently supported ones are SoapUI for testing web services, BaseX for testing XML documents, and TEAM Engine for re-using OGC tests. The ETF can be used via a predefined UI or via a REST API.

Many implementations of the ETF are currently available. The most popular is probably the INSPIRE Reference Validator [3], which makes use of the ETF to execute INSPIRE-specific ETS. Several EU Member States are also using the ETF (at different levels: national, regional and local) to replicate the INSPIRE-specific tests and/or extend them with other tests based on national or other requirements.

The ETF has been already presented at FOSS4G conferences:

  *   FOSS4G 2019: INSPIRE Reference Validator: status and next steps by Marco Minghini, Michael Lutz, Clemens Portele, Jon Herrmann, Enrique Soriano, Carlos Palma, Iñaki Díaz de Cerio Paniagua, Belén Sáez, Lorena Hernandez, Daniele Francioli, Fabio Vinci
  *   FOSS4G 2021: Open source geospatial software powering policy implementation: the INSPIRE central infrastructure components by Marco Minghini, Alexander Kotsev, Vlado Cetl, Lorena Hernandez, Michael Lutz, Daniele Francioli, Davide Artasensi, Emanuela Epure, Fabio Vinci, Fabiano Spinelli, Lukasz Ziemba (https://callforpapers.2021.foss4g.org/foss4g2021/talk/ZKRWYN/)
  *   FOSS4G 2022: ETF testing framework: past, present and future by Jon Herrmann, Marco Minghini, Clemens Portele, Michael Lutz (submitted and currently under review)

We are also preparing an application to include the ETF in the next version of the OSGeoLive.

Regarding the checklist for OSGeo Community Projects [4]:

1. The project is geospatial, see the project description at [1] and [5].

  *   the project does not yet have a page on the OSGeo website, we understand that this is the first step
  *   the project provides documentation for users [6] administrators [7] and developers [8].

2. The project is licensed under the EUPL v.1.2, see [9].
3. The project welcomes participation and new contributors:

  *   contribution policy: [10]
  *   history of bug reports and pull requests can be found on the repositories under [2], especially on [5].
  *   code of conduct: [11]

We are available to answer any question and provide any useful information to proceed with the next steps.

[1] http://etf-validator.net<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/etf-validator.net/__;!!DOxrgLBm!UvR1kftQcLgI0pIHnKKusY23bweSMhF9CdWZjAsWPgY49H9cK9Rs5HIqNIO4Ob1On0UqAiU$>
[2] https://github.com/etf-validator
[3] https://inspire.ec.europa.eu/validator/
[4] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Community_Projects