[Incubator] EOEPCA Project - Community Project Application

EOPIBBE eoepca at spacetec.partners
Thu Apr 4 02:29:05 PDT 2024

Good Morning,

I am writing on behalf of the team behind the EOEPCA (EO Platform Interoperable Building Block Evolution<https://eoepca.org/>) project to apply for OSGeo Community Project status.

The ever-increasing influx of Earth Observation (EO) data, often distributed across multiple independent platforms, poses a significant challenge for end-users to efficiently access and collaborate on geospatial tasks. EOEPCA+'s vision is to define a common architecture that integrates disparate data platforms into an open network of resources. This integration is enabled by standardised open interfaces, and a software abstraction layer that allows end users to access resources without having to worry about the operational intricacies of unique platforms.

In February of this year the project reached its eleventh major release - v1.4<https://github.com/EOEPCA/eoepca/releases/tag/v1.4>. Development has been ongoing since 2019 thanks to the work of 19 contributors, with 9 operators currently deploying the system using the provided documentation. Of critical importance however is the partnership with OSGeo's official ZOO-Project<https://zoo-project.org/>, which has now reached a state of near-complete integration, and whose own successes are due in large part to the collaborative work with the EOEPCA team.

We recognise OSGeo's global leadership in the open-source software and geospatial realms, and would be delighted to have the opportunity to engage with your extensive expertise to help the project grow its developer and user base. Building on its strong foundations, the EOEPCA project will gradually evolve into EOEPCA+, so OSGeo's support in the areas of project governance, promotion and community building would be invaluable as the team works to define its future identity.

Community Project Application Checklist:

  1.  Be Geospatial:

  *
EOEPCA README<https://github.com/EOEPCA/eoepca/blob/develop/README.md>
  *
Project website outlining the geospatial goals of the project: https://eoepca.org/
  *
OSGeo website member page<https://www.osgeo.org/member/taposeea/>
  *
Documentation available in several place:
     *
System Docs<https://system-description.docs.eoepca.org/current/>
     *
Deployment Guide<https://deployment-guide.docs.eoepca.org/v1.4/>
     *
All Other (Dev. Repo)<https://github.com/EOEPCA/eoepca>

  1.
Have a free license or open-source licence:

     *
Uses the OSI-approved Apache-2.0 license<https://github.com/EOEPCA/eoepca/blob/develop/LICENSE>.
     *
Software building blocks and their sub-components are individually licensed. Full list of source repos can be found in the Technical Domains<https://github.com/EOEPCA/eoepca/blob/develop/README.md#technical-domains> section of the README however two examples are provided here:

        *
EOEPCA Data Access<https://github.com/EOEPCA/rm-data-access>
        *
EOEPCA Registration API<https://github.com/EOEPCA/rm-registration-api>

  1.  Welcome participation and new contributors

  *
All required and relevant files are located in the EOEPCA dev. repo<https://github.com/EOEPCA/eoepca>

        *
Contribution Policy<https://github.com/EOEPCA/eoepca/blob/develop/CONTRIBUTING.md>
        *
Code of Conduct<https://github.com/EOEPCA/eoepca/blob/develop/code-of-conduct.md>
        *
History of Contributions<https://github.com/EOEPCA/eoepca/graphs/contributors> / Closed Pull Requests<https://github.com/EOEPCA/eoepca/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed>

If you have any questions about the project or our application please let me know and I'll be more than happy to help.

Best Regards

Simon Hunter