From camila.narbaitz at plan4better.de Fri Oct 2 03:28:58 2026 From: camila.narbaitz at plan4better.de (Camila Narbaitz Sarsur) Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2026 10:28:58 +0000 Subject: [Incubator] Add GOAT by Plan4Better as OSgeo Project Message-ID: Dear Incubation committee: During the last FOSSGIS in Rumania, the Plan4Better team got to know about OSgeo. That is, why we would like to apply with our project GOAT to be part of the OSgeo projects. GOAT is an open-source web GIS platform designed for general spatial analysis, with a particular focus on accessibility and mobility indicators. The repository is located here: https://github.com/plan4better/goat released using GNU General Public License v3.0. Our documentation is located here: https://goat.plan4better.de/docs/. My user's email address is camila.narbaitz at plan4better.de. I would like to request permission to create a project page, as well as the steps required to do so. I would also like to know if more than one person from the team can join the email list. Thanks a lot for the help. Camila Camila Narbaitz Sarsur Cartographer & UI/UX Designer camila.narbaitz at plan4better.de Plan4Better GmbH plan4better.de Agnes-Pockels-Bogen 1 c/o M?nchner Technologiezentrum - MTZ 80992 M?nchen Deutschland Registergericht: Amtsgericht M?nchen, HRB 262655 Gesch?ftsf?hrer: Elias Pajares -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: From even.rouault at spatialys.com Fri Oct 2 05:24:55 2026 From: even.rouault at spatialys.com (Even Rouault) Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2026 14:24:55 +0200 Subject: [Incubator] Add GOAT by Plan4Better as OSgeo Project In-Reply-To: References: Message-ID: <0016d203-b234-4466-8ebe-f0797d0f913a@spatialys.com> Hi, Not speaking on behalf of the incubation committee (I'm not a member of it), but I see that the lead developer of GOAT is using an AI agent to contribute, which I see as a potential issue to guarantee that the project is of quality, collaborative and sustainable, and can actually be copyrighted under GPL 3.0 Even Le 02/10/2026 ? 12:28, Camila Narbaitz Sarsur via Incubator a ?crit?: > > Dear Incubation committee: > > During the last FOSSGIS in Rumania, the Plan4Better team got > to know about OSgeo. That is, why we would like to apply with > our project GOAT to be part of the OSgeo projects. GOAT is an > open-source web GIS platform designed for general spatial > analysis, with a particular focus on accessibility and > mobility indicators. > > The repository is located here: > https://github.com/plan4better/goat > ?released using GNU > General Public License v3.0. Our documentation is located > here: https://goat.plan4better.de/docs/ > . > > My user's email address is camila.narbaitz at plan4better.de. I > would like to request permission to create a project page, as > well as the steps required to do so. I would also like to know > if more than one person from the team can join the email list. > > Thanks a lot for the help. > > Camila > > > > > > *Camila Narbaitz Sarsur* > > Cartographer & UI/UX Designer > > camila.narbaitz at plan4better.de > > > > *Plan4Better GmbH* > > **plan4better.de > > Agnes-Pockels-Bogen 1 > > ?c/o M?nchner Technologiezentrum - MTZ > > ?80992 M?nchen > > ?Deutschland > > Registergericht: Amtsgericht M?nchen, HRB 262655 > > ?Gesch?ftsf?hrer: Elias Pajares > > / > / > > _______________________________________________ > Incubator mailing list > Incubator at lists.osgeo.org > https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/incubator -- http://www.spatialys.com My software is free, but my time generally not. LLMs contribute to global warming and brain rot. Let's guillotine them! "Ah ! ?a ira, ?a ira, ?a ira !" -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: From even.rouault at spatialys.com Fri Oct 2 15:04:11 2026 From: even.rouault at spatialys.com (Even Rouault) Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2026 00:04:11 +0200 Subject: [Incubator] Add GOAT by Plan4Better as OSgeo Project In-Reply-To: References: <0016d203-b234-4466-8ebe-f0797d0f913a@spatialys.com> Message-ID: <40151088-0a17-4348-8cdf-a5a86bc93464@spatialys.com> Le 02/10/2026 ? 21:50, Elias Pajares a ?crit?: > Hi Even, > > What a warm welcome ? Nothing personal. I give the same welcome in similar situations > > I understand that you might be concerned. However, I would like to > outline our perspective: > > * > It becomes increasingly standard to use AI for assisting when > coding. Which means it can hardly be stopped but I would rather > argue we need rules to make it work. > I'm despaired by how people easily give up their free will. > > * > We use coding assistants but review and test by hand. From my > experience this combination can even raise the quality. > My experience is that reviewing code generate by coding assistants make your brain lazy > > * > I am not a lawyer but using a coding agent is by our knowledge not > affecting the effectiveness of our GPL 3.0 license. > Well, you should have a look at https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2026-October/040416.html . This is still moving target but the current interpretation is that code generated by machines isn't copyrighteable. I see AI as an existential threat. Even -- http://www.spatialys.com My software is free, but my time generally not. LLMs contribute to global warming and brain rot. Let's guillotine them! "Ah ! ?a ira, ?a ira, ?a ira !" -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: