[Inspire-data] Re: [inspire-foss-devel] State of INSPIRE with FOSS (long)

Just van den Broecke just at justobjects.nl
Mon May 2 08:42:31 EDT 2011

Hi,

Markus, thanks for your extensive answer ! And good to see deegree
moving forward. In hinsight I may have sounded too negative in my
original mail. That was certainly not my intention. I see so many
opportunities for FOSS within INSPIRE, not only for the obvious reasons,
but also since INSPIRE is a lot about integration and standards in
constant flux, any product will need to be agile and reactive. So I feel
the various FOSS projects should stick together on this.

I have experienced that INSPIRE is very knowledge-intense, with lots of
nasty details that come up during implementation, in particular when
testing. So while we may have a diversity in products, there is a great
deal of commonality we can have at least in knowledge sharing and
user/integrator-involvement, maybe even at the code/config level like
common relational schemas and SLDs. Another area is "CITE-like" test
automation which was started in ESDIN.

I plan to be in Bolsena next month, and hope some of you are there as
well, so maybe we can move things further under the Italian sun.

best,

Just