[Java-collab] Re: OpenSource Closed source.... confused...

Stefan Steiniger sstein at geo.uzh.ch
Fri Aug 15 14:43:14 EDT 2008

Ok,

I just had a look into EziLink. To my opinion this is a borderline case.
The software is developed by VividSolutions and another company - and
even references JUMP 1.2 as the source. Both components (Jump +
pseudo-"plugin") of the software seem to be tightly connected. But
legally VividSolutions can use the JUMP code for their own projects
under a different license as it is with EziLink.

The thing what is a bit disturbing is: the reference to JUMP 1.2 - on
the one hand it clarifies the original source, but it also suggests that
they build on top of GPL'ed software - which they actually *don't*.

I also parsed through some classes (i.e. only the names as there are
only class files) checking if they added any stuff not coming from
VividSolutions [the only thing I am not sure about is who is the owner
of the WMS code]. As it looks to me, everything is legal and the EziLink
guys are *not required to release any code* because VividSolutions has
author rights on the code and developed this software too.

so far my analysis
Stefan