[Java-collab] Re: [Geotools-devel] GeoTools moving forward

Sunburned Surveyor sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 15:33:02 EDT 2008

Justin wrote: "A question for Martin: Are there any plans to make

GeoAPI more modular in nature, so that people can pick and choose from
parts of the interfaces they wish to use?"

Worst case scenario: We move the interfaces we need from GeoAPI to a
GeoTools module.

I agree with the need for simplicity. In my example, you only dealt
with one object, the object implementing the transformation interface.
In the example from GeoAPI that Martin posted, you have to deal with
at least four (4) objects:

[1] CoordinateReferenceSystem
[2] CRSFactory
[3] MathTransform
[4] CoordinateOperationFactory

I think all of this could take place behind the scenes, in the class
implementing the interface. Then, if I was using OpenJUMP (for
example), I could do something like this.

Coordinate toTransform = new Coordinate(5000.0, 1000.0);
double[] oldOrdinateValues = new double[2];
oldOrdinateValues[0] = toTransform.x;
oldOrdinateValues[1] = toTransform.y;
double[] newOrdinateValues =
someNewTransformationInterfaceImplementation.transform("CRS1", "CRS2",
oldOrdinateValues);

There is one method call to one object to perform the transformation
of the coordinate. That's it. All the other black magic happens behind
the scenes.

Landon