[Java-collab] Simple system for designating units.

Sunburned Surveyor sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 17:08:18 EDT 2009

In OpenJUMP I've got a class that represents information on a simple
feature attribute. One of the methods to this class returns a String
identifying the unit of the attribute value. I'd like to tweak this
class so that it uses members of an Enum or some similar mechanism
instead of strings.

I was wondering if it would be possible for our community to share
unit definitions for common physical quantities like length, area,
angle/direction, volume...

Perhaps JSR 108 would be a good starting point:

http://jsr-108.sourceforge.net/

I'm not looking for anything terribly complex to start, but having a
standard list of units might allow us to share some unit conversion
and metadata tools in the future.

Landon