[OSGeo-Jobs] Software Engineer at NASA's GSFC -Greenbelt, MD
jmagdaleno at columbususa.com
Wed Mar 26 09:51:49 PDT 2014
Columbus Technologies is aggressively seeking a Software Developer to support NASA's Earth Observing System Data and Information System group at Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, MD. This is a full time, fully benefited on going assignment. Unfortunately no telecommuting will be offered, and US permanent residency is a minimum requirement this position.
If you are interested please email me your resume and we can go from there.
Software Developer (295)
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Location: Greenbelt MD
US Citizen or Permanent Residency is required
Job Description & Responsibilities:
Help us make Google Earth-like, open source imagery services available for NASA science data! Our team supports NASA's Earth Science Data and Information Systems (ESDIS) at the Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) facility. In particular, we support the NASA Earth Observing a System Data and Information System (EOSDIS) Global Imagery Browse Services (GIBS). GIBS fulfills an increasingly critical role in providing full resolution imagery capabilities for data discovery, search and order, and support for external agencies. GIBS services are consumable by numerous mapping applications and libraries for use in activities such as education, research, and emergency response. The NASA Worldview web client provides an example integration of the GIBS imagery services. We are seeking a systems engineer with strong experience in an operational environment. In addition to technical aptitude and the ability to learn quickly, the ideal candidate demonstrates strengths in interpersonal, presentation, and troubleshooting with a passion for his/her role, GIBS, EOSDIS, and the space program.
On a daily basis, the candidate will have the following responsibilities:
* Monitoring of operational imagery ingest and archival processes.
* Identifying, analyzing, and resolving system issues.
* Validating generated imagery products for consistency and correctness.
* Coordinating with imagery providers to configure, monitor, and reconcile new or existing imagery products.
* Coordinating with imagery consumers to resolve service integration and imagery usage concerns.
On a regular basis, the candidate will have the following responsibilities:
* Reviewing operational metrics for trending and anomalous changes in processing durations and latencies.
* Generating metrics reports for review by project management.
* Identifying and suggesting system enhancements to meet observed internal and external needs.
* Developing sample imagery products for prototyping and review.
* Participating in configuration management and software deployment.
The candidate should be a self-starter, motivated, able to manage multiple priorities and tasks in a dynamic environment with a good understanding of software development standards and best practices.
The candidate should meet and/or demonstrate the following qualifications and skills:
* Experience in an operational environment performing system analysis and issue resolution.
* Experience with a complex software system involving multiple components including distributed services, databases, and storage.
* Experience generating and modifying imagery using GDAL or other image tools such as ImageMagick.
* Experience with monitoring *nix systems (e.g. OpenNMS, sar, etc.)
* Strong *nix scripting and command line abilities.
* Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
* Ability to effectively schedule and manage interdependent tasks.
* Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and ensures quality.
* Possesses and demonstrates excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Ability to work effectively in a team environment across Government contracts/contractors
Experience with NASA Earth science data products and the NASA EOSDIS is desirable. In addition, demonstrated familiarity with the following technologies is desired.
* Apache Server
* Java, Groovy/Grails
* Web mapping standards (e.g. WMS, WMTS, KML, etc.)
* PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch, and SOLR
James Magdaleno | Sr. Technical Recruiter
Columbus Technologies and Services, Inc. | Direct: (310) 356-5661 | (877) 358-5964
1960 E. Grand Ave., Suite 1000 | El Segundo, CA 90245 | www.columbususa.com<http://www.columbususa.com/>
A PASSION TO PROVIDE EXCELLENCE |
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.
(c) 2014 Columbus Technologies and Services, Inc.
Please consider the environment before printing this email
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Jobs