[Landsat-pds] Estimated lag-time between USGS and AWS

Amit Kapadia amit at planet.com
Tue Jun 13 11:37:53 PDT 2017

Hi Robert,

For Tier 1 data we poll USGS once per day. We used to poll twice per day,
but found that they tend to release one large batch each day rather than a
continuous stream. For RT data we continue to poll twice per day.

We've observed a high variance in when T1 data becomes available. It can
range between 0 - 20 days due to, I believe, lunar models that are made
available on a roughly bi-weekly interval.

Those are two sources of latency. To your question, I've run on the
assumption that as soon as a scene is made available through EarthExplorer,
it's also made available through USGS's API. This might not be the case as
demonstrated by the example scene you shared. I've poked the USGS API, and
it does appear it will be queued for ingestion later today. I'll keep an
eye on it as there might be problem on our end.

Thanks for reaching out.

Amit