[Landsat-pds] USGS Landsat S3 bucket

Flasher, Joe jflasher at amazon.com
Mon Jun 14 07:21:44 PDT 2021

Hi all, as we approach July 1st, I wanted to resurface the message I originally posted on 12/11/2020, referencing the deletion of the landsat-pds bucket in favor of the USGS-owned Landsat data bucket. You can find that message in full at https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/landsat-pds/2020-December/000178.html.

To recap, since there is now an S3 bucket with Collection 2 data, the full archive and owned directly by USGS, we deprecated the existing landsat-pds bucket with a 6 month timeline.

To make this a bit ‘softer’ of a deprecation, and to try and minimize the community impact, we will be marking the landsat-pds bucket Requester Pays (https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/userguide/RequesterPaysBuckets.html) in early July. Users need to explicitly pass a Requester Pays flag before they accrue any unexpected charges so rather than suddenly charging people, this will actually just return an error if a user is still using the landsat-pds bucket. The reasoning for doing this rather than an actual deletion right away is that if users cannot immediately switching over to the USGS-owned bucket, they can accept the data request/egress charges and their code will continue to work. This is just a stopgap to potentially help some in the community and the landsat-pds bucket is still slated for deletion. If there are any major concerns about this switch to RP as a stopgap, please let me know.

Thanks all!

Joe Flasher

Amazon Web Services - Open Data Lead
https://opendata.aws