[Lexicon] GRASS / OSGeo Geolexica

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 10:58:14 PST 2020

+lexicon at lists.osgeo.org <lexicon at lists.osgeo.org>

Looping in the OSGeo lexicon list (which has the other Glossary pilot
participants).

Hi Vaclav,
Sorry for the delayed response. I was interrupted while responding, then
this fell under a bunch of todos.

Yes, I'm very hopeful that our community and processes we are developing
will help you folks in GRASS, although I want to be careful we don't over
promise.
We also have plenty of questions in this space - but we also have
commitment and expertise to work through these problems.

Re "what process will look like?":
I'd suggest:
* Ankita and Naini (tech writers) can help review how your terms are
written and provide feedback if needed. Reese also from OGC and ISO/TC211
who has deep experience in writing spatial terms.
* We are standing up an OSGeo glossary software using Glossarist open
source software. We can either include GRASS terms in there, and harmonize
with existing terms, or stand up a separate GRASS glossary (see discussion
below). Ron, the main software author should be able to help with this.
* We should set up a governance process. We want to write generic processes
that others can customize. I'm hoping the GRASS project can work with us to
help pilot that.

Timeframe for this will be to have something ready by ~ February/March 2021

Further from our slack chat
<https://join.slack.com/t/thegooddocs/shared_invite/enQtODkyNjI5MDc0NjE0LTUyNGFiZmU1MjIzNDMwN2E3NmQwODQwZmRkYWI5MDhlMzdjYzg4Nzg4YjM3ODA0NGE4MTgyYzdkMGViMTI2MDM>
(in case you haven't seen it):

cameronshorter <https://app.slack.com/team/UKTGLQNGG>  7:17 AM
<https://thegooddocs.slack.com/archives/C019A1EQJMC/p1606162670012500>
This is really valuable feedback @Codrina Maria Ilie
<https://thegooddocs.slack.com/team/U01ABLZMV7E>. Thankyou for coordinating
this. I believe we have enough information in here already that we could
set up a GRASS collection of terms. As we are only doing a pilot, we could
be using dummy terms, but using these GRASS terms is so much better. It is
going to help us uncover use cases. In particular, GRASS have highlighted a
use case I hadn't considered - where the same concept is called different
things by different organizations. (In GRASS's case, it is difference
between ESRI and GRASS). It seems obvious when we write it down.
We have the option of creating a GRASS collection inside the OSGeo terms,
or to stand up a separate GRASS glossary, and then we can work through the
painful use case of trying to rationalize two glossaries. (Which I think is
a use case worth pursuing) . It shouldn't be too much effort from the GRASS
community, but will be a lot of effort for us around setting up the
processes for integrating glossaries. (edited)
Codrina Maria Ilie <https://app.slack.com/team/U01ABLZMV7E>  7:53 AM
<https://thegooddocs.slack.com/archives/C019A1EQJMC/p1606164824018800>
Wonderful! I am happy I could help a bit! I am curious, why do you think it
would be a better approach to have 2 glossaries - OSGeo and GRASS - instead
of a collection inside the “mother” glossary? Are there some technical
limitations that I don’t foresee given the maturity/longevity and
complexity of GRASS terminology? If, and hopefully, the Lexicon plan is
successful, then, in time, more and more projects will join. Will they join
as OSGeo collections or independent glossaries, following the GRASS
example? Are there specific benefits for the project for  to have a
glossary and not be a collection ?
cameronshorter <https://app.slack.com/team/UKTGLQNGG>  12:20 PM
<https://thegooddocs.slack.com/archives/C019A1EQJMC/p1606180831023200>
@Codrina Maria Ilie <https://thegooddocs.slack.com/team/U01ABLZMV7E> There
Pros and Cons for both approaches. From a pilot perspective, it will be
valuable to try and get two glossaries to talk with each other (hence my
suggestion of two glossaries). From an OSGeo/GRASS perspective - it will be
more work up front to get alignment around terms, but will likey be better
later to have all the terms under the one OSGeo glossary. Note that what we
decide now in our pilot can be changed later.

--
Cameron Shorter
Technical Writer, Google