[Liblas-devel] ReadPointAt bug

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 20:17:41 EDT 2008

Pete,

I have found the bug, but I'm not sure the fix for it is overly
desirable.

Here is the file 155mb I used for testing:
ftp://ftp.igsb.uiowa.edu/Lidar_FTP/Data/non_iowa/puget_sound/LAS/06144792.las

lasinfo says the following:

>   Header Summary
>   File Name: ..\test\data\06144792.las
>   Version:                    1.0
>   Source ID:                  0
>   Reserved:                   0
>   Project ID/GUID:           '00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000'
>   System Identifier:         ''
>   Generating Software:       'CPS/RTW LAS Lib v1.08'
>   File Creation Day/Year:    0/0
>   Header Size                227
>   Offset to Point Data       639
>   Number Var. Length Records 3
>   Point Data Format          1
>   Point Data Record Length   28
>   Number of Point Records    5847380
>   Number of Points by Return 2920986 2926394 0 0 0
>   Scale Factor X Y Z         0.001000 0.001000 0.001000
>   Offset X Y Z               0.000000 4000000.000000 0.000000
>   Min X Y Z                  614000.000000 4791999.999000 311.676000
>   Max X Y Z                  615999.990000 4793999.989000 398.959000

Some strange things:
1) the Point Data Format is 1
2) the Point Data Record Length is 28
3) the Version is 1.0

I modified your simple Python script to be the following:

> from liblas import file
> f = file.File(r'..\test\data\06144792.las')
> i = 0
> for i in range(100):
>     p = f.read(i)
>     print p.x, p.y, p.z
>     print 'return ', p.return_number, ' of ', p.number_of_returns
>     print 'cls = ', p.classification,  '  edge = ', p.flightline_edge
>     if i ==3:
>         break
> f.close()
> f = file.File(r'..\test\data\06144792.las')
> i = 0
> for p in f:
>     print p.x, p.y, p.z
>     print 'return ', p.return_number, ' of ', p.number_of_returns
>     print 'cls = ', p.classification,  '  edge = ', p.flightline_edge
>     i=i+1
>     if i ==3:
>         break
> f.close()

There are two different reading methods that are possible with
libLAS.  The first method, expressed in Python as the 'for i in
range(100)' call, actually calls a method down in the C++ library
called ReadPointAt.  Every time a read is done, the stream is
repositioned to the point position specified (i==0, i==1, i==2, ...
i==n), and the point is read.  The second reading method, expressed in
Python as the 'for i in f' call, calls GetNextPoint over and over
again.  This reading method is going to be much faster than the
GetPointAt method because the stream does not need to be repositioned
for every read.

The problem with this particular file and our GetPointAt method is
that we were repositioning the stream as follows:

> std::streamsize pos = (static_cast<std::streamsize>(n) *
> LASHeader::ePointSize0) + m_offset;

For this file, it meant we moving through the file in 20 byte chunks
because the header said it was 1.0.  The problem is that the point
record length for this file is actually 28 bytes, as you described.

A simple fix is to just cache the point record length in the reader
implementation and then reposition with:

>     std::streamsize pos = (static_cast<std::streamsize>(n) *
> m_recordlength) + m_offset;

I'm not sure, and we would need a spec hound to verify, but I think
that the file in question is not following the spec.  It *says* it is
1.0, but it has a 28 byte record length (this would imply a 1.1
version file, right)?  So, who are we to believe?  The file version,
like we were doing, or the record length, which in this case produces
the correct results?

Mateusz, do you have anything to add on this?

Howard