[Liblas-devel] Motion: libLAS 0.9.0 Release

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 22:31:49 EST 2008

All,

I think we are ready to provide a preview release of libLAS so that we
can get some feedback from actual users :)  I propose that we call it
0.9.0.  I did not see a version on Martin's LASTools stuff that we
could use to start counting from, but maybe he will chime in.

In the summer of 2007, I was approached by the Iowa Department of
Natural Resources to investigate a graduate student effort to develop
a library that reads and writes LAS-formated LiDAR data.  The code
that was available was in tough shape (you can find this in the carver-
start branch of the subversion tree), and it looked like bringing it
into shape would be a significant effort.

After some investigation, I found Martin's LASTools, which looked to
be substantially more developed than the original IDNR code,
especially with respect to the command line utilities that it
provided.  It was slightly deficient from a library perspective (it
was merely a couple of C++ classes), but with some elbow grease and
first-rate C++ mojo from Mateusz, it could be brought together.  After
contacting Martin, Mateusz and I agreed to push forward with the
library side of LASTools development.

Regarding the naming of the library: there was already a "lastools"
website that purported to be a commercial development, and my original
vision for the software project was more of an open source library
approach.  liblas.org was available, so that was the name that was
chosen.

Infrastructure-wise, the project now has a mailing list, subversion
repository, bug tracker, and IRC bot and channel.  All of these pieces
are critical to support collaboration of geographically diverse
contributors to the project.  They also allow a motivated individual
to bootstrap themselves into participating in the project with minimal
effort.

libLAS currently supports multiple platforms, and it has been tested
on Mac OSX 10.5, Ubuntu 7.10, and Windows MSVC 2005/2008.  automake/
autoconf, cmake, and msvc makefiles and project files are available to
build the library and utilities.

Development-wise, the library APIs have started to settle down, and
most of Martin's command line utilities have been ported over to use
the libLAS C API (txt2las and lasdiff are not complete yet).    The
only major piece of missing functionality is variable length headers,
but that should be coming shortly.  Mateusz has a good start on C++
unit tests, and with the C API solidifying, I should be able to start
working on some Python bindings.

I would like to motion for a 0.9.0 (or otherwise appropriately named
release given input from Martin) release to allow us to solicit
feedback and allow people to easily test.