[Liblas-devel] liblas

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 14:05:54 EST 2008

Martin,

I am writing you to give you an update of where things are and hope to
persuade you to join the liblas-devel list so we can benefit from your
expertise and experience.

The first developments I will mention are that we took the lastools
stuff, imported it into subversion, and then added some automake, msvc
projects, and msvc makefiles to it.  This can be found at http://liblas.org/browser/tags/original
   (or http://liblas.org/svn/tags/original for the svn version).
After polishing things a little bit, we started in on reworking the
reader class to use a pimpl approach http://mail.hobu.net/pipermail/liblas-devel/2007-December/000008.html
   We are currently in the process of fleshing out the pimpl-based
reader.

Two other developers besides myself are working on the library
(Mateusz Loskot and Phil Vachon).  We all are heavily involved with
the GDAL http://www.gdal.org project, and we have various expertise in
different areas of the project.  For liblas, Mateusz is focused on the
C++ implementation, I am focused on C API development (and a Python
API) and porting your utilities to use that, and Phil is focused on
SAR-related usages.

We've been attempting to pull together as much LAS format-related
stuff onto the wiki at liblas.org as we can in an attempt to congeal
the format oriented stuff in one place.  All of the articles and code
are so scattered that it is challenging for someone not initiated to
figure out what to do and where to go.  Hopefully with enough linkage
and information, the liblas wiki will end up being a highly ranked
website and simple searches will point people to it and they can find
what they are looking for.

Finally, I know you are an extremely busy academic (my wife is a
professor, so I understand the lifestyle ;) ), but I would implore you
to join the liblas-devel mailing list.  Your experience with the LAS
specifications (and their sometimes lack of specificity) would be
extremely helpful to us.  We are more software development-oriented
folks, and while we can dig, scratch, and claw our way to LAS format
zen, imparted experience from a LAS format zen master would be highly
beneficial.  liblas is an opportunity for you to provide some minimal
direction toward a gold-plated 2.0 version of your library.  Below is
a list of things we would love some direction on:

- What should the API look like?  We know fairly well how we would use
a LAS API from a direct data format translation perspective, but how
would someone expect to use the library if they were building
applications atop it directly?  Your experience with integrating
lastools into your applications can provide us some direction here.
Should we just make a straight port of what you outlined (plus some
more sophisticated error handling, etc), or were there things you
would have like to have had but didn't have the time to do (more
convenience, syntactical sugar, alternative access methods, etc)?

- In the face of ambiguity from the 1.0 and 1.1 specifications, what
choices are people typically making?  For example, scan angle rank is
defined as unsigned byte from -90 to +90 in the 1.0 specification and
as just unsigned byte in the 1.1 specification.  Does this mean it is
still +90/-90 in 1.1, even though it is not clearly specified, is it
merely a convention for 1.1, and so on.

- All three of us are very skeptical about the LAS 2.0 specification,
and you had expressed some displeasure about it as well.  What are
some things we can do at the library level with an eye toward
supporting it at some point in the future?  Or rather, what things can
we do to support the expected most common usages of 2.0 LAS data?  My
feeling is that LAS 2.0 is so wide open that LAS 2.0 from one vendor
is going to be different than LAS 2.0 from another.  What's your
feeling on the subject?

A last related point is development specific.  If you are interested
in participating from a software development perspective, please let
me know, and I will provide you with a login that you can use on
liblas.org to commit to the subversion repository and make additions/
changes on the wiki pages, file tickets, etc.

Thanks for your time, and we look forward to hearing from you.