[Liblas-devel] posix

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue May 6 05:25:45 EDT 2008

Martin (OpenGeoMap) wrote:
 > Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>>
>> Do you mind if we move the discussion to the liblas-devel list?
>> Thank you!
 >
> Yes. But i can not send mails there. :'(

Seems like you can now :-)
Probably, it was some temporary problems.

Martin (OPENGeoMap) wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I will ask "why not?" :-)
> What's the problem with using ANSI C for the purposes we have in
> libLAS?
 >
> When you used this method the problems occurs in the GUIs. With an
> ANSI C/c++ string you need put compilations conditions for windows
> and the POSIX systems.
 > [...]

But I still state that it's easier to use #ifdef than to introduce new
and quite a big dependency like Gtk/Glib or Qt.

The major and native compiler considered on Windows is Visual C++ (not
GCC/MinGW), forcing users to fight with Gtk compilation in this
environment would not be a good idea. Not to mention Mac OS X.
On Linux, it's far easier to play with GNOME libraries, but still such
dependency is too big canon to solve not-that-complex issues with
characters encoding in file names.

That's my personal opinion. Perhaps Hobu has different one.

I agree Gtk/Glib/GNOME/Qt stuff framework make it much easier to play
with various character sets, but libLAS is intentionally independent
from these frameworks. And, we need to find a solution that
follows this approach.

Greetings
--
Mateusz Loskot