GRASS LiDAR tools [it was Re: [Liblas-devel] Hello!]

Roberto Antolín rantolin at stereocarto.com
Tue May 6 07:18:55 EDT 2008

Hello,

Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>> Antolin made the official GRASS lidar plugins.
>> http://grass.itc.it/grass62/manuals/html62_user/v.lidar.edgedetection.html

Yes, I'm guilty!! :)
I've done the GRASS LiDAR tools (v.lidar.*), the v.outlier module for
outlier removal and one of the many interpolators within GRASS:
v.surf.bspline. They are aimed to reckon a DTM from a LiDAR dataset.

Although I "only" imported the modules from GRASS 5.4 to GRASS 6 it was
a lot of work cos I had to rewrite and to modify all of them, and only
some functions from the old version were left. In some way, I started
from the scracth since I didn't know anything about C, programming in
general, GRASS nor LiDAR techniques.

Still I'm not very proud of them because there are still lots of bugs
and programming errors. Further improvements have to be done
specifically in v.lidar.edgedetection. This module is quite slow and the
whole procedure can take up to a couple of days, depending on the
dataset dimensions and the number of points.

However they were very useful for my PhD. thesis ;)

> Cool! Perhaps this is something interesting to you, see the "Announcing
> libLAS" thread I started:
>
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2008-May/thread.html#start

Nice! I'll take a deeper look later.

Cheers,
Roberto.

--
Roberto Antolín Sánchez
Departamento de Tecnología

Stereocarto S.L.
Paseo de la Habana 200
28036 - MADRID, Spain
Telf: +34 91 343 19 40 - FAX: +34 91 343 19 41
http://www.stereocarto.com