[Liblas-devel] Plans for libLAS 1.3

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Apr 3 19:19:07 EDT 2009

Howard Butler wrote:
> All,
>
> This is a note to let you know some of the plans for 1.3's development.
> Some of these items will definitely be implemented, while others are
> just hopes at this point.  If you have an opinion on something, please
> speak up!
>
> - An Oracle Point Cloud utility, las2oci, that can write LAS files into
> OPCs.
> - Boost linkage
>   -- for help with thread support for the reader
>   -- for program option parsing
>   -- for shared_ptr

    -- boost::array - to replace std::vector where static size array is
required by specification
    -- static assertions
    -- tuples - to simplify some parts of C++ core interface

> - Reading strategies (choose between trading for cpu/memory)

Perhaps it could be achieved with help from Boost Flyweight,
an implementation of Flyweight Pattern
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyweight_pattern

> - More C++ adapter work

I will most likely have to revise the idea of use of custom types:

http://liblas.org/ticket/13

> - Rewriting the utilities into C++ and discard their direct port of
> LAStools (they are troublesome to maintain currently)

I'm willing to help in this.

> - More documentation, using Sphinx to manage it, similar to the
> MapServer website http://mapserver.org/docs

Personally, I like all-in-one idea of Trac.

> - A new utility, lasvalid, that will attempt to validate a 1.0/1.1/1.2
> LAS file and tell you what might be wrong with it.  This will be
> something more than the '-c' option of lasinfo.  It will have options to
> validate header value domains, point value domains, and file layout.

las2las utility could be also improved to support more complex
filtering, for instance I'd like to be able to filter N number of
classifications or range(s) of intensities at once.

las2las --eliminate-class 0,5,7
las2las --eliminate-intensity 0-32,128-255

Best regards,