[Liblas-devel] LAS 1.2 and SRS improvements

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 15:19:15 EST 2009

All,

I think the dust has finally settled on a number of improvements I've
made to the SRS handling.  Right now, only the C++ code has been
changed, but I plan to implement C and Python API for it in the next
couple of days as well.  Here's a summary of the changes:

- a new class, LASSRS has been created.  It is instantiated with a
list of VLRs, and if any of those VLRs are GeoTIFF-key related, they
are copied into the LASSRS.
- if neither libgeotiff nor GDAL are compiled in, the LASSRS is
supposed to do nothing.
- if GDAL is compiled in, it is used for SRS translation from the
GeoTIFF keys
- otherwise, if libgeotiff is available, but not GDAL, it is used as
before

One problem I would like some ideas on is how to describe what is
available.  Because the SRS handling can be so different depending on
what is available, I think it would be good for us to allow the user
to ask what was activated at compile time?  Any thoughts on how to do
so?  Other than static strings, which might cause cross-dll heap
troubles, the only other approach I could think of is something like
MapServer's:

http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/browser/trunk/mapserver/maperror.c#L490

but it seems like a crime against nature ;)

Please give trunk a test and let me know if you have any troubles with
it.  LAS 1.2 read/write support should also be active now, and 1.2 is
now the default version when creating new files, etc.