[Liblas-devel] LAS file Coordinate Systems

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Jul 21 19:34:44 EDT 2009

Patel, Ronak Avinash \(US SSA\) wrote:
> Therefore, I am relegated to UTM values. However, how does the LAS spec
> deal with collects which cross UTM boundaries?? How do you indicate that
> a LAS file falls between 2, 3, and possibly 4 UTM zones??

You need to follow GeoTIFF specification in this regard.
libLAS links to libgeotiff to access GeoTIFF features necessary to handle
CRS/SRS. libLAS does not implement GeoTIFF specification itself - it would
be a big and painful task :-)
So, it's very reasonable to use libgeotiff.

I'd suggest to follow the same approach and try to find GeoTIFF
implementation in Java or perhaps there is Java binding for libgeotiff
available.

Best regards,
--
Mateusz Loskot