[Liblas-devel] liblas reading speed

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 13:36:55 EST 2010

On Dec 17, 2010, at 10:02 AM, Eendebak, P.T. (Pieter) wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> The python interface to liblas is easy to use and works well, but it is quite slow since points have to be read one-by-one. Is there a way to read (and write) multiple points at once and place the positions and colors into an array?

libLAS itself reads one-at-a-time.  It is possible to use (in C++) the CachedReader to speed up multiple accesses to points, but that's not really what you are asking for here.

I'd gladly take some patches that did what you wanted.  The Python API is a bit neglected, and it would probably make sense to remove its dependence on the C API and bring it into boost.python land now that we're dependent on boost anyway.  That would have the potential to speed things up considerably, but neither effort is in my priority queue at this time.