[Liblas-devel] Las2Oci problems

Martin Isenburg martin.isenburg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 14:25:34 EDT 2011

tom & others,

my quad tree finalization can code could only be used to tile the data
adaptively (with a min or max num of points per quad tree cell).

but with some extra care taken the same code will also be able to allow TIN
streaming sometime later. that would mean that an oracle point cloud
generated with this quad tree code would remain "implicitly finalized" if we
keep some basic info around. both "lastile" and "lassort" use a variation of
this quad tree code as well. currently the quad tree is just used for tiling
and z-order sorting ... but resulting LAS file are also spatially finalized
and could be fed into a streaming pipeline.

http://www.cs.unc.edu/~isenburg/lastools/download/lastile_README.txt
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~isenburg/lastools/download/lassort_README.txt

If it is of interest to (someday) be able to use the point clouds reordered
by libLAS or libPC together with TIN streaming it may be worthwhile to take
that extra care and add a compatible quad tree functionality to the
libraries. Streaming TIN generation relies on overlap tests between circles
and quad-tree cells (which are very very tricky to get right due to
floating-point arithmetic error offsets [1]) so that switching to a
different quad tree code won't be trivial.

cheers,

martin @lastools

[1] Martin Isenburg, Yuanxin Liu, Jonathan Shewchuk, Jack Snoeyink,
Streaming Computation of Delaunay Triangulations, Proceedings of
SIGGRAPH'06, pages 1049-1056, July 2006. http://www.cs.unc.edu/~isenburg/sd/