[Liblas-devel] Re: LASzip versus LT compressor

Martin Isenburg martin.isenburg at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 20:18:43 EDT 2011

good point, michael.

i should have made more clear what question i was trying to answer:

when i talk to folks who consider using LASzip to compress their large LIDAR
archives for faster download and cheaper archival (e.g. CLICK,
OpenTopography, NCALM, NOAA, various state and county agencies, ...) the
very same question eventually arises: "how LASzip compares to the LIDAR
compressor from Lizard Tech in terms of compression ratio and speeds". it
was in that context that i was doing these side-by-side experiments and
reporting the results.

and yes. it is true that LASzip does not support selective decompression ...
yet. (-;

cheers,

martin @lastools