[Liblas-devel] Problems (and solutions) installing liblas 1.6.0 on Mac OS X

Peder Axensten Peder.Axensten at slu.se
Sun Feb 20 04:46:57 EST 2011

On Mac OS X 10.6.6 there are a few issues with the liblas installation, at least on my machine. These problems occurred on a copy of the active source code. I also tried the latest release, but it seems to have the same issues.

A basic installation works well, but

Using WITH_GDAL it gets the wrong GDAL_LIBRARY path. It works if I change it manually to
/Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/unix/lib/libgdal
(It does get GDAL_INCLUDE_DIR right: /Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/Headers)

Using WITH_LASZIP it gets the wrong LASZIP_INCLUDE_DIR. It gets it to
/usr/local/bin, changing it manually to /usr/local/include fixes it.

Using WITH_ENDIANAWARE I got
liblas/src/point.cpp: In member function ‘uint16_t liblas::Point::GetIntensity() const’:
liblas/src/point.cpp:563: error: no matching function for call to ‘bitsToInt(uint16_t&, const std::vector<unsigned char, std::allocator<unsigned char> >&, size_t&)’
liblas/src/point.cpp: In member function ‘uint16_t liblas::Point::GetPointSourceID() const’:
liblas/src/point.cpp:791: error: no matching function for call to ‘bitsToInt(uint16_t&, const std::vector<unsigned char, std::allocator<unsigned char> >&, size_t&)’
make[2]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/las.dir/point.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/las.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

I can see that there is a
	template <typename IntegerType>
	inline IntegerType bitsToInt(IntegerType& output, std::vector<boost::uint8_t> const& data, std::size_t index)
in details/private_utility.hpp, but I haven't looked into why it's not found...

We are about 10 researchers who work extensively with las files, generated from lidar scanning as well as aerial photography through photometrical calculations. I want to develop a C++ library implementing our most frequent tasks. The idea is to implement it in C++ and then run it from R through wrappers. To be able to use liblas, it must be easily to install it on Mac, Linux, and Windows using gcc (that R requires, also on Windows).

I'm not very good with 'make' scripts, but I'm very willing to contribute in any way I can.

Best regards,

Peder Axensten
Research engineer

Dept. of Forest Resource Management