[Liblas-devel] ECEF?

Ben Discoe bdiscoe at 510systems.com
Fri Mar 4 21:32:03 EST 2011

OK, my first question: how does one store points in ECEF coordinates?
Specifically, how does one indicate in the header that the points are
in ECEF?  liblas::SpatialReference seems to only talk about the usual
geographic and projected CRSes.  In our case, the data is gathered and
processed in ECEF, served as ECEF, and rendered on the client in ECEF.
 It would be sad to have to convert from ECEF to something like
lat-lon or UTM, in order to write LAS, then have to convert back again
on read.

If there is no explicit support in LAS or libLAS for ECEF, i suppose i
could just write ECEF anyway, which would no doubt work for reading
our own files - but then interoperability is lost.

Thanks,
Ben