[Live-demo] LiveDVD, Portable GIS, osgeo4w

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 15:36:58 EDT 2008

Joanne Cook wrote:
> Hi Cameron,
>
> I guess I see the portable gis solution as being separate to the livedvd, in that it just takes the existing windows applications and makes them portable. So if you want windows programmes on your livedvd then that's a separate issue I think. I think the portable gis approach could be good for conferences where for some reason livedvds are not an option, or perhaps where (god forbid) you want people to be working in a windows environment rather than linux for the demo. Hope that makes sense!

There are lots of good reasons for demonstrating GeoFOSS on windows. The
main being that most potential GeoFOSS users use windows, and it is an
easier migration path.

So portable gis has applications already installed, and would run best
from a memory stick, as opposed to the LiveDVD which currently has
windows installers?

This makes sense.
I'm now wondering whether it would make sense for the portable GIS to be
distributed via the LiveDVD as well, in order to maximise exposure of
portableGIS to new users. (The LiveDVD is being handed out at conferences).

"Want to try GeoFOSS on windows now? Go to the portable GIS directory,
or for better performance, copy the portableGIS directory onto a memory
stick and run from there."

> Regarding osgeo4w- I had hoped that I would be able to use osgeo4w to build in the relevant components in portable gis, but just haven't had the time to work on it. It's due for an upgrade though, so that will be a good time to try! Portable GIS is supposed to work in those environments where there isn't an internet connection however, so I would only use it for the initial setup of the programmes.

Sounds good, I'd be very keen to hear how you go.

Geospatial Systems Architect