[Live-demo] Re: Dropbox on GISVM for script sharing

Ricardo Pinho rpinho_eng at yahoo.com.br
Wed Sep 2 15:56:38 EDT 2009

Hi Hamish,

> I have no problem with adding a dropbox per se, it's a fine idea.
> But for the script development specifically, IMO the most sane approach
> it to keep it in a single dedicated place.
> I would suggest to keep a single SVN repository (either hosted at OSGeo

Sorry if somehow I suggested to use Dropbox for development. I was only thinking on  sharing!
I''m not a developer so I really don't have much practice with SVN.
But obviously SVN is better than dropbox for development and we should keep using it!

My point here is to keep a syncronized copy of the scripts inside GISVM.
You propose:

> Keep an up to date copy on the GISVM side with
>  svn checkout https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/ osgeo_scripts
>
> then keep it in sync with
>  cd osgeo_scripts
>  svn up

Well, try to explain this to a MAC user! ;-)
Dropbox, like the name says, is a GUI sync tool, much more easy and user friendly than svn command!
It also makes a centralized copy of files very well!

Your proposal is also interesting if you make it transparent for the user.
Run it in background = daemon, or put a button on desktop to Sync!

But, in my opinion, it has less potential then Dropbox, in the user point of view!

Also, my opinion is that  scripts should only be syncronized inside GISVM after testing, etc (stable release).
So whenever a stable release  is created on SVN, it should be copied to dropbox (= GISVM).

And  other guys and vendors could also create their scripts folders and associate them with gisvm-dropbox account.
Of course they should be responsible for maintenance of files in that folder...

The other aspect of having Dropbox installed, is that you can use it for other purposes, shuch like using GISVM with groups! (such as classrooms)
In those situations, teachers could make use of their own Dropbox account so that students could associate it to their GISVM computers.
This way all data/etc is sync between students !

> made my point yet? :)

Hope so. My apologies if I'm getting it all wrong!

Cheers,
Ricardo Pinho