[Live-demo] how much space for data?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 2 23:31:37 EDT 2009

Stefan wrote:
> As far as Postgres/gis is concerned, I think, it might be
> a good idea to have a single instance running that is started
> during the boot process.
> Many of the apps on the VM/DVD will be able to access it. It
> could provide a rather limited sample data set, which the other
> apps can use in their examples.

so a great way to save on disk space would be to all share the
same dataset whenever possible.

Apparently lots of software want to a PostGIS DB, great.

For others, anything that can be represented by GeoTIFFs,
Shapefiles, and the like could all start their tutorials with
the common task of importing them.

I'd note there is already a sample dataset prepared for OSGeo
Edu, namely the North Carolina free dataset (native format
edition)

see  http://www.grassbook.org/data_menu3rd.php
 (original formats download near the end of the page)

Hamish