[Live-demo] how much space for data?

Ricardo Pinho rpinho_eng at yahoo.com.br
Thu Sep 3 16:40:55 EDT 2009

Hi Jorge,

Thank you for your wise recommendations.
GISVM, at first was also aimed to help people (mainly Windows GIS users) to enter into Linux World!
So I made it available with the standard Ubuntu Apps Pack also available (Including OpenOffice).

For this new alpha1 version we removed several apps [gnome-games where left by mistake] ;-) (look at setup.sh)

But I must agree with you. For this FOSS4G2009 edition we could even cut some more:

I agree that we should remove:
* xsane
* brasero

But I'm uncertain about:
* thunderbird
This could be in hand if would like to send/receive mails from inside GISVM. Receive data and send results for/from GIS operations.
(very low interest)

* gimp
Very useful for edition and converting Raster files inside GISVM.
(medium interest)

One that I would be very happy to get ride of was:
sun-java-6 (+80MB).
And replaced it with Open-JDK!
But unfortunately I've detected problems on using Geoserver with Open-JDK (dealing with text fonts)
If anyone has an solution to remove sun-java-6, please tell us!!!

Thank you,
Ricardo Pinho
http://gisvm.com