[Live-demo] Torrents of Images?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Sep 14 19:32:22 EDT 2009

I've been tinkering with how to create and track torrents with the
LiveDVD and GISVM in mind. I believe I've come up with a solution that
uses several freely available trackers, and doesn't require any software
to be installed on the downloads server although installing a torrent
client on the server might make it easier/faster to seed.
Theoretically we could even distribute the file without uploading to
osgeo 1st, and speed up the upload by spreading the load to several people.

The question for the list, will it be useful to serve the images via
torrent or is regular http transfer ok?

There are also a few really interesting new variants on the idea which
may come in handy down the line like Bittorrent DNA, which basically
creates a torrent out of any download and provides the client to the end
user automatically, they don't even know they're using a torrent.

Free Trackers
http://openbittorrent.com/
http://publicbt.com/

Bittorrent DNA
http://www.bittorrent.com/dna

If anyone wants to test the idea I've setup a test seeding Alpha5 and
can post the torrent file, it could be sped up if we used the Web Seed
option and had the file posted on the server too. Either requires the
current files to be in a folder or requires the .7z to be a single file.

Alex