[Live-demo] Re: [mapserver-dev] Re: Please help tweak and test Mapserver on the FOSS4G DVD

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 15:44:07 EDT 2009

Daniel,
Please forward to the mapserver-dev list as I'm not subscribed.

A few wiki pages which will be useful for you:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#Wiki_pages

More answers inline:

Jeff McKenna wrote:
> I also have some comments inline below:
>
> Daniel Morissette wrote:
>> Steve Lime wrote:
>>> A quick look and the script seems reasonable just to get the CGI
>>> installed. Can't do much without
>>> a demo though so that would seem a reasonable addition at a minimum.
>>> The debian folks were
>>> going to package the stock demo but I'm not sure where that stands.
>>> Maybe the other devs might
>>> have an idea.
>>>
>>> Now I'll just wait a couple of days to download the VM pieces... ;-)
>>>

>> Steve, Cameron,
>>
>> Sorry for the late response, I just came back from vacation.
>>
>> I can ask Alan to help with the packaging. He may just need some
>> guidance on what we want to include.
>>
>> Here are a few questions to get started:
>>
>> 1- Does the FOSS4G DVD already pull packages from the UbuntuGIS
>> repository? It would be our intention to use UbuntuGIS packages
>> instead of the stock Ubuntu packages since they are more up to date.
>> Is that a problem?
Yes, pulling down packages from Ubuntu is the prefered option for
installing.

>> 2- What do we want to include? Here is a suggestion:
>>
>>   - cgi-mapserver
>>   - Itasca demo (Steve: where is the most current version for v5.4?)
>
> http://maps.dnr.state.mn.us/mapserver_demos/workshop-5.4.zip
>
>>   - PHP MapScript
>>   - GMap PHP demo
>
> Note that the GMap demo does not work with the current PHP version
> (5.3.0).
>
> Others:
>
> - shp2img and mapserv utilities in the user's PATH
> - gdal/ogr utilities in user's PATH
> - proj utilities in user's PATH
>

>> 3- For the docs, we could possibly just include the Sphinx-generated
>> PDF for v5.4 but that's not very user-friendly. A better option would
>> probably be to package a snapshot of the website docs and include
>> that on the DVD. Any preference?
>>

> I like that idea for docs.  Cameron let me know and I can upload an
> archive of the docs in html format, as Daniel suggests.
HTML docs would be the preference.

If you have docs which are already bundled inside one of your .deb
installers, then just include the "apt-get install mapserver-docs"
inside your gisvm/trunk/bin/install-mapserver.sh script.

We are also looking for a:
* 1 line description of your project
* 1 page description explaining to a new user how to use mapserver on
the DVD, as per: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GISVM_Build#Writing_docs

Geospatial Systems Architect