[Live-demo] please avoid chown user:user

Andrea Aime aaime at opengeo.org
Fri Sep 18 15:57:44 EDT 2009

Hamish ha scritto:
>>> please only change the write-permissions of a file only if
>>> you really, really have to. AFAIK everything writable is
>>> loaded into the memory, when you boot from the DVD.
>
> Andrea wrote:
>> The GeoServer data directory needs to be writable in order
>> for GeoServer to work.
>> By what you said all that I need to do is to change the
>> script so that all files are writable by everyone even
>> if they are owned by root?
>> Something like "chmod a+w -R <data dir>"?
>
> do the files need to be writable, or just the directory?
> i.e. does "a+w <data dir>"  but not for the files mean you can
> add new data to the dir but the existing files are not needlessly
> loaded into memory? or do the datafiles need to be modifiable for
> this program?

GeoServer does WFS-T and the configuration is user modifiable
by the user with the web console so... yeah, it would be definitely
better if they were all writable.

The sample data set is small-ish, 11MB as reported by "du -csh *".
Without too much cherry picking I can shave off 3.6M out of that
(the set of demo clients do not actually need to be writable)
and maybe reduce the writable amount by another 3MB by marking as
read only the raster data samples.
This would leave around 4.5MB that still need to be writable.
Is this acceptable?

Cheers
Andrea

--