[Live-demo] ISO go/no go

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 29 07:57:09 EDT 2009

Hi Jody,

> Evening; I going through with an
> actual burned copy of the ISO; trying
> to do a final check before things were sent to the
> printers.
>
> Good news:
> - the cover looks good
> - the background looks great!
>
> Can someone provide an instruction list for the outside
> cover - at the
> user name prompt we were unsure what to type.
> 1.    Insert DVD
> 2.    Reboot system

too wordy/complicated to suggest adjusting BIOS boot order
if needed?

> 3.    When prompted , hit Enter to start DVD
> 4.     Wait
> 5      Login - wait for the "user user"
> countdown from 30...0 in order to login

I think it's only 30 sec if you touch it, otherwise it's 8-10
sec.

"""
Login: user,user or simply wait for the timer countdown to finish
"""

?

> Found instructions in the "Help" icon - did not match my
> experience ...

right, fancy Ubuntu "what language" is missing. But the login
screen has a "Choose Language" at the top middle, we point that
out.

This is remastersys voodoo for another day I am afraid.

I think a lot of this stuff might be xubuntu/remastersys issues
that we can't do much about immediately ...

> LOGIN
> HUGE font for user login (60 point or so; you can only see
> the outline of the bottom of the letter in the provided field

looks 100% pretty for me. ?
I did have it get stuck in like CGA graphics mode on startup
today, but luckily that was at at tty prompt so I could "just"
do "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart" and then the login came up.
Hardly something to put on the disc cover! Probably just cheap
DELL video card or something. shrug, only happened once.

> General:
> - Does not support Right click on Mac

probably little we can do about hardware autodetect / drivers.

> - "Start Mapni..." icon looks like it will shut off the
> machine

Perhaps there's a green checkmark or something better?
Create a new launcher and click on "select icon" to browse
through avail, then edit the ~/Desktop/blah.desktop file and
set the Icon= line to the new icon filename (end part by
itself may be ok)

> QuantumGIS
> - Quantum GIS boot screen and menu bars use the same 60
> point font - rendering app unusable (literally the application
> displays the word "File" for 1/2 the screen)

very weird. works fine for me on the 4 computers I tried. (all PCs)

maybe it is the new X.org monitor DPI autodetect gone nuts?

if you can use a Terminal prompt and the x11-utils package is
installed, what does this say:

xdpyinfo  | grep -B1 resolution

(if x11-utils isn't there "sudo apt-get update && apt-get install x11-utils :)

> Geoserver
> - Geoserver Start button works (need shows up as "tart
> GeoSe.." on the desktop) and opens up the welcome page at
> http://localhost:8082"

yeah, don't know how to teach it to make vertical spacing
between icons or full names shown for non-selected icons.
probably have to find some Xfce guru or start hacking the
python code.

> - Any of the other links from this page (WMS capabilities,
> demo page,
> etc... result in “Offline mode” – Fire Fox is
> currently offline and can’t browse the  web"\

weird, didn't see that with 2.0beta4

> Okay I have the answer to the puzzle! If I clear the cache
> in firefox even the geoserver welcome page does not work;
> so it looks like fire fox is not going to let me browse
> localhost without being able to be online? Trying to connect
> to wireless to see if it makes things better.

there was the issue with one of them that Cameron found where
it only worked the second time you tried it. But then there
was a zombie Java process found by "pgrep java". Killing all
those it then continued to work. Something, somewhere, needed
initializing... ?

> Going back to try things when connected to wireless:

so wireless works for you out-of-the-box? Great news!

> - geoserver now works
> - mapserver now works
> - deegree did not work
>
> GeoKettle
> - started
>
> Start mapni..
> - started up; was able to follow the instructions
> - first time firefox opens it goes into offline mode and
> prevents the opening of the page

no idea, again didn't see that with 2.0beta4.

> - unchecking offline mode; and asking it to try again let
> me see the service and view the first tile

how does the little network button look in the top right of
the top toolbar next to the clock? DHCP auto-setting a proxy
server or something weird that it might be picking up?

> Kosmo
> - nice splash screen again
> - it took me forever to navigate to /usr/local/share or
> whatever it was because I needed to double click on a trackpad -
> hitting enter would not work as with other file system dialogs

No idea, but it reminds me, I tried to use "screen" from a
terminal but inside the session it didn't recognize the backspace
key. shrug.

> - I could add countries.shp udig_data did not render not
> sure why (zooming to extent etc had no effect)
> - I could not add clouds.jpg from udig_data got an "Error
> /usr/local/share/udig-data/udig-v1_2/clouds.jpg - null"

maybe a premissions problem? can anyone else reproduce it?

?

> It saved me tones of time finding the application in the
> Application menu rather then the desktop (no visial feedback
> when launching from the desktop combined with double clicking
> on a trackpad resulted in many failed attempts to launch)

Most apps made it into the Education menu; it suits.

> Postgres / PgAdmin
> - works
> - was able to render sydney roads from udig

nice.

> That is it I have 2 mins of laptop batery left ... if we
> can talk over what to do on the email list here (maybe put
> the notes above into trac?).

definitely put the main project wiki page on the cover, then
we can link an Errata & troubleshooting page prominently from
there. :-/

> Asking admin here....
>
> Apparently it would be "awesome" if another ISO could be
> produced, as they don't want to produce 1000 copies of
> something that is unsable.

are there any of these that we can reasonably solve in the
next X hours?

anyone see the same or is it unlucky hardware compatibility?

uDig sample data access sounds like it needs to be verified.

regards,
Hamish