[Live-demo] review of OpenLayers Overview for osgeo-live

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Sun Aug 1 09:54:07 EDT 2010

On Aug 1, 2010, at 8:43 AM, ext Cameron Shorter wrote:

> Chris,
> Thanks for your Openlayers Overview text.
>
> I've reviewed and added suggested changes as below. (Feel free to revert if you disagree with my suggestions). In particular, I've tried to add a bit of a "user benefits" (why is pure JS good?).
> I've also included a Core Features section. I suspect you will want to refine this list of functionality.

Cameron,

Personally, I much preferred the previous text.
 1. OpenLayers is, to some extent, designed for people beyond just web devleopers
    to use; though we don't always achieve that goal, the goal really is to let
    anyone, right down to someone who just knows how to copy paste into a blog,
    create an OpenLayers maps.
 2. The change from "Google Maps API" to "Google Maps" is one that I deliberately
    chose not to make: the key distinction is that the Google Maps API is
    a Javascript API, not a web UI at maps.google.com.
 3. OpenLayers is not renowned (and definitely not renound ;)) for its
    comprehensive testing and release cycles, as far as I know; at least, I don't
    consider it such. We most certainly do not ensure stability across
    hundreds of browser versions; heck, we hardly ensure stability across a half
    dozen.

I also do not like the 'core features' sections in general; the core feature
of OpenLayers is "making a map", possibly extending to "Loads map layers
from many sources" -- the rest of the features are not at all core features.

It seems that you have a direction in mind here, so I'm willing to let you,
as a representative of the OpenLayers PSC, make the final call on this,
but I think the new document is missing a lot of the sense that I tried
to convey in my original, and it is not the document that I would create
myself.

-- Chris