[Live-demo] pgrouting converter fail

Daniel Kastl daniel.kastl at georepublic.de
Mon Aug 2 04:16:53 EDT 2010

2010/8/2 Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>

> Brian Hamlin wrote:
> > > I suspect the host= portion of the connection string, but have no
> > > proof of that
>
> Daniel wrote:
> > Oh, maybe the host name could be an answer. Good idea!I remember that I
> > once couldn't connect with localhost but 127.0.0.1 was OK ... or the
> > other way round. This might depend on the pg_hba.conf settings.
> >
> > Currently I don't specify host name, so it takes 127.0.0.1 as default
> > value. Maybe it works when host is set as "localhost".It would then be
> > osm2pgrouting -file "$TMP/sampledata.osm" \
> >   -conf "/usr/share/osm2pgrouting/mapconfig.xml" \
> >   -dbname $OSM_DB \
> >    -host localhost \
> >    -user $USER_NAME \
> >    -clean
>

> bingo! now it works in my test VM. it takes a few minutes to run but is
> no worse than 5 minutes or so. pity there's no --quiet flag like psql has.
>
> I can now connect, load, and query the pgrouting PostGIS database in QGIS.

Wow, that's a good news! Thank you for testing!

Sorry for the noisy output. It was a contribution of a student to pgRouting
and unfortunately I have no idea about C and C++ to be able to add a --quiet
flag. All I could manage is to work on the Ubuntu package ;-) Probably it's
not so difficult and I can ask Anton, if he has a time.

About the time it takes I expected a bit less, but the OSM file of Barcelona
was larger than I thought. It has to build the topology, but I thinlk it's
worth to do when building the LiveDVD, because it will ensure that the OSM
file available in /usr/share/osm is the same version as the routing data. An
option would be to just load a prepared database dump as in the previous
LiveDVD releases.

Daniel