[Live-demo] Release Candidate Soon

Brian Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Mon Aug 2 12:19:04 EDT 2010

Hi All-

   First and foremost, this is a great moment for the LiveDVD project
OSGeo projects have really come together, and thanks to the solid
docs framework, this will be the most informative and professionally
presented version yet. Excellent!

  A note on the build naming..
In many years of writing shrinkwrap software in the pre-Internet days
I have come across a few conventions for the basic terms
   alpha, beta, release candidate, golden master, etc..

I think we got off on the wrong foot calling the last couple of builds
RC-N  for release candidate.. its really not the right use of the term.

often, beta means "feature complete", while
Release Candidate means what it sounds like, everything is in place
for a final build and that iteration is done soley to correct important
defects..

I suggest that we return to this convention for this important OSGeo
product
Since the letters 'rc' have already been used, we might consider a
variation on the spelling to avoid a muddy history. or not, since the
final
of this process will really be its own piece of history..

I write this wordy email now because I really do think its worthwhile
to get
back on track with a solid naming convention, to match the solid work
that
has gone into this fine product.

   best regards
    -Brian