[Live-demo] Ready for testing: 4.0 rc6

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 3 05:32:07 EDT 2010

Alex wrote:
> ISO (3.4GB) and VM (3.8GB) ready for testing.
> http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/4.0-rc6/

excellent. I was expecting the DVD to be more like 3.8gb.

> I have not tried to boot the iso yet.
> Notes:
> -full log also contains the iso build log
> this build was run from tty1 terminal outside of X
> completely, hence all
> I had to do by hand was select the background image, all
> the menu magic etc by Hamish worked
>
> For the final release I'm working with SAC to make sure we can put the
> files on the osgeo download server, no more need to redirect.

thanks.

build log review:
-----------------

broken in 4rc6:

- sahana: upstream tarball URL changed. Now updated in svn; script
  retested manually/fixed.

- OpenLayers: desktop icon missing. Now added: opens firefox to examples/

- (Alex) please remove this old & unused pkg from the VM:
   92.430 MB        linux-image-2.6.32-21-generic

fixed by 4rc6:

- qgis: Plugins now install. UbuntuGIS is now shipping the new 1.5.0
  release, which means so are we.
  * Home_range, contour, and ? plugins not working with the new release,
  I wasn't sure what to do with them so I just removed them.
  ** PDF manuals are still very old. (circa qgis 1.0)
  ** GRASS plugin not functional with the sample data as user doesn't
     own the location files (will file bug with upstream)

- "Megabytes used by install script" and "Top 50 package hogs" bogo-stats
  at end of build log now fixed.

- pgRouting data upload now ok

- atlasstyler, geopublisher: install now ok

other:

- Barcelona.osm: just switched to get latest Xapi extract instead of
  pre-fetched version.

- R: keep libpthread-stubs0 and libsprng2 packages installed?

- so now's the time to get the Mac and Windows installers up to snuff?
  (but somehow be smaller than last time)

I love the fslint hardlinks idea, but I think we would have had to start
testing that a month ago for this release.

Hamish