[Live-demo] Provide .fix files for all Shapefiles

Stefan Tzeggai tzeggai at wikisquare.de
Tue Aug 10 14:53:00 EDT 2010

Hi Brian

Thanks for your quick reply.

 > to be clear...
 > I am in favor of applications that want a .fix file, to generate them
 > *not* to change the source repository somehow
Not so easy when the folder is read-only. ;-)

 >Can you use a PostGIS data source for AS and GP ?
These changes are not for AS or GP. AtlasStlyer and Geopublisher are
fixed and have no problems with the r/o Shapefiles anymore.
This is to ensure that more widespread uDig has no problems with the
Natural Earth Shapefiles. uDig uses the same version of Geotools as GP
and AS.

 >Natural Earth is already there and ready to go
I think we were missunderstanding. The workflow would stay the same: The
original and unchanged Natural Earth is downloaded and unzipped as it is
done now - just after that .fix files would be generated next to the
.shp files.

Think of it as generating thumbnails in imagefolders. For a live DVD one
would do it after downloading the images, but before the filesystem goes
read-only.

 >BUT the deadline for changes to the LiveDVD is long gone..
 >Cameron is running the schedule, but my understanding
 >is that there is no more time..
That is totally true. So i try not to slow down the process. If the .fix
is not needed, lets not do it.

Is it really needed with latest uDig? I guess Jody will reply tomorrow.
I will go to bed now.

Keep up the good work guys.. it's in every project that the last days
get a bit busier :-) ... In a month you all can hold the nice DVD and be
very proud of it!

Greetings,
Steve