[Live-demo] 4.0rc7 Trimming for Space

Brian Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Wed Aug 11 20:09:03 EDT 2010

On Aug 11, 2010, at 4:48 PM, Alex Mandel wrote:

> So we're a bit over on space at ~4.7-4.8(4.74) GB
> That means we need to trim 340 MB from the final in order to be able to
> burn a DVD. So that's either ~680 MB worth of stuff in the live OS
> and/or 340 from the Windows/Mac installers.
>
> By no means all of the options, just some obvious ones
> Option 1: Remove the Mac Installers ~ 530MB Savings

Option 1 makes no sense at all..
  a *lot* of developers are using Macs, and increasingly so..

> Option 2: Remove non-OSGeo Installers ~ 411.9MB Savings
> 	Things that would be removed:
> 	Mac: php5 45.3 MB, udig 86 MB, R 36.8 MB
> 	Win: Kosmo 117.6 MB, udig 93.8MB,opencpn 14.6,maptiler 12.5,saga 5.3

Option 2 as stated...
   it appears that about 60+mb of that could stay, also..

> Option 3: Trim more stuff from the live portion.

> We are a bit tight on time, so my choice is option 2 as a quick, clear
> way to do it. I would much prefer option 3 but don't think it's
> practical to meet our deadline.

for the record, installers have always seemed like a separate disk
project to me..
the benefits of a documented, pre-configured Linux are abundant...

Installer packages can be had, one by one, any day of the week
and, get stale right away..

but, times up.. got to live with that is there now..
$0.02
   -Brian