[Live-demo] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] USB testing required today if we are to hand out OSGeo-Live on a USB at FOSS4G

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Aug 15 01:56:38 EDT 2010

On 08/14/2010 05:35 PM, Noli Sicad wrote:
> Hi Cameron,
>
>> Ideally we would have liked to distribute on a USB to all delegates
>> however out of the 5 or so computers tested, we've had reports of at
>> least 2 computers which can't boot from the USB. So we will distribute
>> OSGeo-Live to all delegates on the well tested DVD version.
>
> These laptops / desktops have faulty Windows BIOS. They need DSDT
> patching to boot Linux OS and Darwin OS (Mac OS X). Using IASL, you
> can decompile the BIOS i.e. dump DSDT.dsl. then patch it and compile.
> Use dsdt.aml to boot usb linux os.
>
> Top of the list for faulty BIOS is HP Pavillion laptops.
>
>  I got HP Pavillion DM3 which I have been patching inorder to triple boot.
>
> The solution to create various version of OSGeo Live USB for these laptops.
>
> 1. HP Pavillion
> 3. Dell
> 2. Asus
>
> BTW, what are the brand of those computers which did not boot?
>
> I could help create these OSGeo Live USB to work properly with these
> laptops, if you are interested and provide the resources i.e. 4Gb /
> 8Gb USBes, OSGeo ISO and dsdt.aml from those not booting laptops. I
> will patch it.  I can pick these things in your Melbourne office, if
> you are interested.
>
>> However, if we can get test results from enough people by first thing,
>> Monday 16 August, an OSGeo-Live USB will be created and given to VIPs.
>
> Regards, Noli

I'm not sure that's 100% right. My Asus is failing to boot from usb, and
I do think it's a BIOS issue but it has nothing to do with the OS. The
laptop is a linux box only, it seems to just never try booting usb even
though it's in the list.

Also making multiple versions of the usb sticks depending on the laptop
brand is unrealistic, if that's what it takes to make it work 95% of the
time or better we're going to have to stick to mostly DVDs for this release.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to poke into that more.

Alex