[Live-demo] Localized LiveDVD

Astrid Emde astrid_emde at osgeo.org
Mon Aug 30 03:20:35 EDT 2010

Hi,

it would be great if we could provide the LiveDVD in different languages.
We plan to take the LiveDVD to the Intergeo which is a big fair but mostly
with german speaking visitors. It won't work out to get a german version
for 2010, but maybe we can provide it for next year.

Maybe most documents could be translated from people from the projects
themselves (this would be possible at least for german). For german
translations I also can ask people from the FOSSGIS e.V. (german speaking
local chapter of the OSGeo).

I agree with the data structure Jody suggested.

Astrid

On Mon, August 30, 2010 1:15 am, Jody Garnett wrote:
> For geoserver we ended up with duplicating the docs in different svn
> trees (using the iso language name as the directory):
>
> You can see the result here:
> - http://svn.codehaus.org/geoserver/trunk/doc/en/
> - http://svn.codehaus.org/geoserver/trunk/doc/es/
>

> Jody
>

> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 3:12 AM, Daniel Kastl
> <daniel.kastl at georepublic.de> wrote:
>

>>> I agree with many of the goals. It's long been on my list to get the
>>> language switcher like the normal ubuntu disk has right at boot.
>>>
>>> You can easily switch the default language and keyboard setting by
>>> hand right before building the iso.
>>>
>>> Now that we have rst based docs
>>> +1 on translating the docs (the how to change language/keyboard would
>>> be the best one to start with) +1 on translating menus if they need it
>>> (note the ubuntu menus already
>>> are translated for the most part) - Encouraging the translation of
>>> OSGeo apps to the same list of
>>> languages (list might need some adjustment) we've included. +1
>>> translating cover
>>>
>>> Sorry I won't be there in Barcelona but don't let that stop you from
>>> talking about it.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Alex
>>>

>> Hi Alex,
>> I agree. The main work would be translating.
>> Unfortunately Sphinx doesn't support multilingual documents. I looked
>> for this a few weeks ago already. So probably at first we need to agree
>> on some guideline and naming convention for localized documentation, and
>> we could think about how to inform translators about changes and updates
>> of the original files. The latter is a common problem of translated
>> documents. Daniel
>>

>> --
>> Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan
>> eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de