[Live-demo] Monitoring usage of the osgeo-live website

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Mon Dec 6 20:55:03 EST 2010

Well, Piwik is an open source project and it stores the collected data on
your own server and doesn't share it with Google (for example).
This is sometimes and issue in some countries (or it was, for example in
Germany).

Piwik is easy to use (also for non-programmers, who have troubles reading an
Apache log file ;-). And it is a good alternative to Google Analytics, I
think. If there is one installation on a OSGeo server running under some
subdomain for example like "stats.osgeo.org", maybe other OSGeo projects
(websites) might want to make use of it as well.

Daniel

PS: I also think it's possible to make charts available for anonymous
access, so this is what Cameron probably might want to make use of then,
being able to provide a link to current usage charts .

2010/12/7 Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com>

> I figured someone would bring up, why not google analytics. Your
> suggestion makes a lot of sense. If other are up for it I think it's
> worth trying an install of it on the adhoc server and would be willing
> to file a SAC ticket/help install it.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> On 12/06/2010 05:25 PM, Daniel Kastl wrote:
> > What about using something like Piwik (http://piwik.org/)?
> > It's quite good and easy to use statistics tool.
> >
> > If we can't install it on an OSGeo server (or don't want), I have one
> > installation running on the Georepublic server.
> > It would be OK to use it.
> >
> > Daniel

> possible.
> >>>

> >> Yes, the metrics can be calculated from the apache logs. I'll have to
> >> check if webalizer or awstats is running on that server yet. I do have
> >> webalizer running on my download mirror and have some initial scripts to
> >> import apache logs into postgres for more detailed analysis.
> >>
> >> While possible, doing something like that on the DVD would rely on
> >> internet connections and might be somewhat invasive. I'd rather provide
> >> an optional feedback system.
> >>
> >> Analyzing the download logs, conference attendance demographics and
> >> creating a feedback survey are all part of my plan. I was actually just
> >> talking with my advisor today about how to work that into my
> dissertation.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Alex

Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan