[Live-demo] Re: [Foss4g2010] LiveDVD again

Lorenzo Becchi lorenzo at ominiverdi.com
Sat Feb 6 05:38:28 EST 2010

Hi Cameron,

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 11:15 PM, Cameron Shorter
<cameron.shorter at gmail.com>wrote:

> Lorenzo Becchi wrote:
>
>> Hi guys, I've read that Jody is presenting a workshop over his experience
>> with the LiveDVD.
>>
> Has this already been confirmed as selected? This is great.

not yet and, honestly, I cannot grant it. The workshops evaluation has not
yet started.

> It will probably also be appropriate to have a LiveDVD lightening
> presentation (30 minute slot) as one of the first sessions. I had feedback
> that a number of managers would have liked to get an overview of everything
> on offer on the first day, so they could see what they should attend for the
> rest of the conference.
>

> we can work on this but I cannot grant it too.

> I'm expecting the LiveDVD to be central to a number of presentations and
> workshops at FOSS4G this year, and will probably include a reasonable amount
> of training material as well as software.

we need to promote this solution and can easily offer space on the official
website.

> What we will need from the FOSS4G 2010 organising committee is:
>
> 1. (Very Important) A financial commitment to put a LiveDVD in every
> showbag at the conference. Is it factored in your budget yet? If not, please
> factor it in. This early commitment from the Organising Committee provides
> projects with the motivation to ensure their packages are up to date and
> working.

we tried to do more and looked for the possibility to have a 4 gigs
pen-drive instead of the liveDVD. We should carefully evaluate this solution
and I'm sure there's plenty of good opinions in the liveDVD community.
We should be able to choose in june if we have budget enough to offer a
pendrive or if we better print DVDs (more or less they are half price of the
pendrive).

> 2. Someone local to burn and distribute the DVD for us. (We may find that
> person ourselves in the next few months)

that's easy to find in Barcelona but maybe can be much more expensive.
I've heard the idea to use some of our sponsor's delivery system to
print/buy in asia and deliver to Barcelona. Is this science fiction?

 lorenzo