[Live-demo] artwork

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Feb 9 21:50:54 EST 2010

Hamish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I notice the two new DVD artwork files:
> desktop-conf/ArramagongDVDCover1JG.ai
> desktop-conf/ArramagongDVDCover2JG.ai
>
> are these in adobe illustrator format? `file` calls them PDFs
> and I can open them in evince, ...? or is PDF the native format
> of AI these days? In the spirit of openness and cross-platformness,
> can Inkscape be used to edit them?
>

> clueless,
> Hamish

Well SVG is the underlying storage mechanism of AI files, similar to but
not the same as Inkscape. Normally if someone with AI converts those to
pdf then we can easily view and potentially extract to Inkscape for editing.

Hmm, you may be right, I think the extension on those is wrong. They are
indeed pdfs. I did open one in Inkscape and it can be edited, though
each letter is treated as an object which won't work out well for text
editing.

In this case I'm not too worried since I think we're going to need new
artwork to go with the rebranding.

Thanks,
Alex