[Live-demo] Version 4 beta 2 up

Brian Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Wed Jul 14 01:12:28 EDT 2010

On Jul 13, 2010, at 2:20 AM, Hamish wrote:

> install_services.sh:  I get the feeling that it's not a good idea to
> install
>   openssh-server by default. At minimum we need to verify that the ISO
>   builder deletes the RSA and DSA keys, but still allowing remote login
>   with publicly posts passwords will not be too fun for folks who
> install
>   from this disc. Instructions on how to install it and generate keys
> are
>   in the Getting Started wiki page fwiw.

Hi Hamish-

   what can I say.. you are doing so much work on the LiveDVD..
I have to first and foremost acknowledge that.. and in the OSS world,
that gives you a big giant vote too

  with that said...

I wote a while back. it makes no sense to me to not be able to SSH in
to a Linux machine.. its a "user/user" password system.. this is in no
way
super security.. at any level. Its not advertised to be such.

I can tell you exactly what happens for me.. I start the LiveDVD with
VirtualBox.. there is a known vbox bug such that I cant use my 2nd
monitor
with a full screen VM, as is my first choice.. and the VBox graphics
drivers are just not as good as VM Ware..

so I want to get a VNC session.. with a big -geometry.. to use the
LiveDVD..

also, my Mac OSX terminal is great.. very very nice fonts, copy paste,
big buffers, basically what I like.. so I want to ssh in from my Mac,
the host, and run command line things..

I can do neither.. if you cant ssh in to the disk by default..
What to do...  ?

I can only describe my situation, and say that I dont think I am
completely alone on this setup in the world.. and that others will
derive benefit from an ssh session, too. If there is *some* way
to make that happen, that would be great.

best regards from Berkeley, California
   -Brian

==
Brian Hamlin