[Live-demo] Last Call for PostGIS Datasets

Brian Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Mon Jul 19 12:35:28 EDT 2010

On Jul 19, 2010, at 4:05 AM, Hamish wrote:

> Brian wrote:
>> Right now we have the osm_local, Barcelona, which, while great for
>> rendering via Mapnik, is a particularly poor choice for general
>> PostGIS
>> demonstration..
>>
>>  So, I am wondering aloud what set(s) to use...
>
> for those of us from other fields could you explain what it is the OSM
> data
> lacks and what things would be useful to have for a general PostGIS
> demo?

well, a relational database could have relations, to start off  :p

spatially, somewhat disparate tables that cover a common area are more
interesting
like, schools and school districts, on top of property records,
on top of city and county boundaries  which include demographic data,
(to take the medford example)

also
plenty of fields with attributes, for grouping, summing or counting
classifying attributes for thematic mapping
osm2pgsql output has those, but in a sort of 'flat' way

Views fall out of an interesting collection of data pretty readily
medford had a collection of views on demographics
there are no views in osm2pgsql output
other basic postgres features are minimally represented, like sequences
and constraints
it seems to me..

   -Brian

ps-   I am not a "database person" per se
its just that some things I am interested in need databases behind them

==
Brian Hamlin
planetwork.net
OSGeo california chapter