[Live-demo] Openlayers looking very amateur on OSGeo-Live DVD

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Thu Jul 29 21:07:46 EDT 2010

On Jul 29, 2010, at 8:51 PM, ext Cameron Shorter wrote:

> On 30/07/10 10:43, christopher.schmidt at nokia.com wrote:
>>
>> I've already written a quickstart for OpenLayers, basically just
>> copying from http://docs.openlayers.org/library/introduction.html
>> and trying to modify it for a local WMS, until I realized there
>> probably isn't one I can use, so I'll have to create that somehow.
>> (see other email.)
>>
>> -- Chris
>>

> Chris, by default we don't start any servers on the disk, as they use up
> valuable memory.
> So if you wish to use a WMS in the quickstart, you will need to include
> a step to start a WMS:
> Take your pick from:
> * Mapserver
> * Geoserver
> * QGIS_Mapserver
> * MapGuide Open Source (I think although haven't tested also has a WMS)

MapServer doesn't need a 'startup', because it doesn't run. Apache starts
by default on the machine -- or at least, it seems to on the most recent
image I had, which is admittedly a while back -- and other examples seem
to not document starting apache as a necessary step. Since MapServer is a
CGI, using it would be ideal, in that sense, but it means that I'd have
to do something to make MapServer serve a map. Since the feature freeze
was more than a month ago, I guess I've missed the boat on that number.

-- Chris