[Live-demo] Conditions to add a new project ?

johann Sorel sorel.johann at inbox.com
Mon Jun 14 18:14:03 EDT 2010

Hello

> Here's the simple explanation:
> 1. You need to build a shell script (.sh) to install your application
> either from a deb package(ubuntu lucid) or from a web download.
> For examples see:
> http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin

I'm not familiar with shell script ... and within 2 weeks, I'll try.

> 2. You need to write some documentation for the project
> For examples see(this version may require slightly more than what's in
> these):
> http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/doc/descriptions

That should be find.

> More Details:
> Because we intend to release a new version approx every 6 months(every
> new version of ubuntu) we are looking for projects that intend to
> continue to upgrade and maintain their installation scripts that often.

Can't guarantee anything.

> We didn't highlight it much this time, but we have tested putting
> OSGeoLive on USB and it works. In future versions we will highlight this
> more.
>
> OSGeoLive is a Virtual Machine, DVD or USB stick all from the same
> automated build process which is why your application install must be a
> script. Previous names have included FOSS4G DVD, LiveDVD, etc.

Never heard about them, sorry.

> Our previous discussion over if we would include the application was
> merely about what we prefer, and criteria by which we would rank
> applications if we need to eliminate some for space reasons.
> While we do include some new/beta applications our preference is for
> stable applications as part of our target audience is the general GIS
> community who have never tried Open Source before.

I will certainly be at the bottom of the list with such criteras...
That's not very enthousiastic, looks like the project doesn't have it's place on the dvd.

johann